Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Unfinished Business

It's been a long time since I've designed a new typeface. So as of lately, I've been trying to find excuses to use Fontographer whenever possible. I've designed a few partial typefaces lately. It's good practice to get back into it and re-familiarize myself with the tools and keyboard short-cuts in anticipation of designing a new complete typeface. I designed a pretty cool "Q" a few years ago and just need to design the rest. And it'd just be nice to put together a new face that incorporates a lot of what I've learned about type since my last typeface and to also not repeat a lot of the mistakes I've made in the past.
Most of the new typefaces I've designed lately were for silkscreen posters. When I work on a poster it's not a problem to design the characters I need since it's just a poster and doesn't have a lot of type. I used to fantasize that there would come a time when I would only use type I had designed and also create a face for every new project I worked on. That really isn't an option for me since a lot of my early typefaces are crap and I usually get sick of something once I've finished and don't want to look at it again. So it's nice that I can design a few characters—retire them, then move on to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment