Friday, October 23, 2009

Bad Veins

Color 1 of a 2-color silkscreen project. A lot of test prints mixed in. But when I silkscreen it's all about the organic process and major and minor mistakes are welcomed. If I wanted it perfect I would just print it out to a nice color printer.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Unfinished Business

It's been a long time since I've designed a new typeface. So as of lately, I've been trying to find excuses to use Fontographer whenever possible. I've designed a few partial typefaces lately. It's good practice to get back into it and re-familiarize myself with the tools and keyboard short-cuts in anticipation of designing a new complete typeface. I designed a pretty cool "Q" a few years ago and just need to design the rest. And it'd just be nice to put together a new face that incorporates a lot of what I've learned about type since my last typeface and to also not repeat a lot of the mistakes I've made in the past.
Most of the new typefaces I've designed lately were for silkscreen posters. When I work on a poster it's not a problem to design the characters I need since it's just a poster and doesn't have a lot of type. I used to fantasize that there would come a time when I would only use type I had designed and also create a face for every new project I worked on. That really isn't an option for me since a lot of my early typefaces are crap and I usually get sick of something once I've finished and don't want to look at it again. So it's nice that I can design a few characters—retire them, then move on to the next one.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

The comic book, "Wannabez" had a contest to create some pin-up pages featuring their characters for an upcoming issue. I did a lot of drawings and ultimately picked one to enter. The pic above of the character, Mau is a left over image that didn't work out.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Gun Show

Wanted to get a little more use out of the screen that I made for the Dandy Warhol's poster so I silkscreened the "gun" artwork onto some blank disc. It worked pretty well so will do a lot more when I get the chance.

Dandy Warhols

My first silkscreen project since High School!

Monday, August 17, 2009


I'm in the process of transferring old VHS recordings of Doctor Who episodes onto DVD. Mainly because DVD's take up a lot less space than a pile of old VHS tapes, plus VHS will eventually deteriorate over time. I used to record these every Sunday off of PBS before my family got cable, so the quality is anything but great. Here are a few of the labels I've created for those old PBS recordings. I mainly tried to incorporate as much info as I could, like season information, number of episodes, title and starring actors in as concise a way as possible. I also wanted to get across that these are pretty bad recordings, so I used low quality images and played around with RGB colors.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Selection of some of the type faces I've designed over the years.